Running any type of business can be a lot of hard work and if you have an office space to manage as well, then you will constantly need to not only manage the people working in the office but also ensure that the space itself is functioning efficiently. This means that you will need to look at everything from the layout to the amount of natural light that is coming in through the windows – not to mention what equipment should go where and whether or not you should have an open plan office.
It has been proven that there is a direct correlation between the layout of an office and how productive employees are and therefore it is so essential to ensure that the space is set out properly. Professional design companies like Saracen Interiors can help you to come up with a design that will suit your business and your budget and it is far easier to take advantage of a service like this than it is to try and work it out without any expert help.
There are a few aspects of a working environment that need to be designed properly for your employees to feel motivated and comfortable, so let’s look at these now:
The lighting in an office will influence everything, from how the space looks when people first walk into it through to how motivated people feel when they are working.
Consider the following:
- Natural light is a must, so install floor-to-ceiling windows
- Open windows and doors to get as much light as possible through the entire space
- Add skylights to encourage more light in
- When people work for a long time on a computer, they will need lots of light to stop fatigue from creeping in
- This light can come from lights overhead and from individual lamps on each desk
Good lighting can prevent problems with eyestrain, headaches and fatigue and is one of the most important things to consider when designing an office space.
Not only should you make sure you are living by the three r’s but you can also go green by using plants throughout the office space. Bringing a natural, organic element into an office can lift people’s mood and give the entire environment a calm ambience.
Furniture & Equipment
What furniture and equipment you use is always important but it is also a good idea to pay attention to where it should go and how it is laid out.
- Desks and work stations shouldn’t be too close to any communal areas, the reception or the toilet, as this will be distracting
- All desks need to be ergonomic
- You will need to invest in modern equipment to ensure that it is functioning properly
Employees will be far more productive if the work environment that you provide them with is a productive one and designing an office that functions well is something that any professional design company can help you with.